Nespresso® machines are nifty appliances, always there to provide a quick and easy coffee. It is a give and take relationship, though. It provides the quality coffee we require, but we also need to take care of it to retain that quality. This is where descaling your machine comes in.
Caring for your Nespresso® Machine
Care comes in the form of descaling and cleaning. Descaling is crucial in removing the build-up of calcium and magnesium deposits that form limescale on the heating element and thermoblock in your machine.
Calcium and Magnesium Build-up in Nespresso® Machines
Calcium and magnesium deposits come from the minerals in your tap water. The “harder” the water, the more minerals present. Each brew with your Nespresso® machine causes the deposits to accumulate and develop limescale.
Accumulation of limescale on your machine’s heating components prevents them from heating the water to its optimal temperature, resulting in cold, poor-tasting coffee.
How often should you descale your Coffee Machine
Certain machines such as the Nespresso® Lattissima, and VertuoPlus inform you when to descale. On the Lattissima an orange light on the button will alert you, and the VertuoPlus will shine half green, half orange.
It’s okay If your machine does not alert you. Most manufacturers recommend that you descale your machine every 3-6 months to keep the heating components in tip-top condition. The recommended usage also depends on the water hardness in your area.
You can find out if your water is hard with a simple and easy DIY test. You will need a clean and clear empty bottle with a cap, and some pure liquid soap.
Fill the bottle one-third full of tap water, add a few drops of liquid soap and shake well for a few seconds. If there is a lack of foamy bubbles and the water appears cloudy and/or milky, your water is likely hard.
How to Descale your Coffee Machine
First check your machine manufacturer’s instruction manual for descaling and rinsing procedures.
- Pour 100 ml (single dose) of Caffenu® Descaler into the water tank of your machine, with 500 ml of water to make the descaling solution.
- Place a large container under the brew spout and run a brewing cycle to dispense approximately 200 ml of the solution into container.
- If your machine has a steam wand, then run an additional 200 ml of the solution through it, into the container.
- Repeat steps 2 & 3 until all the solution has been dispensed, allowing the machine to sit for 5 minutes between each cycle.
- Rinse the tank then fill it with clean water and repeat steps 2 & 3 with clean water. Once done, wipe the machine and surface around it with a damp cloth.